The first Carpenters’ Hall was built in 1429 and the Carpenters’ Company has been located on London Wall ever since.
The site was originally part of the estate of the Hospital of St Mary without Bishopsgate, also known as St Mary Spital.
In January 1519/20 the land was acquired by Thomas Smart, Master of the Company, and he left it to the Company in his will dated 12 March of the same year.
A fire in the mid-nineteenth century severely weakened the building and a second Hall was built during the 1870s, opening in 1880.
The third Hall, which still stands today, was built following an air raid in 1941 when the second Hall was completely burnt out.
First Carpenters' Hall »